Dr Brian O'FlahertyBack
Dr Brian O’Flaherty is a member of faculty in theDepartment of Business Information Systems at University College Cork. Havinginitially worked in the software industry, he has been teaching in UCC for over21 years. He originallystudied Computer Science and completed his doctoral research in ManagementScience at the University of Strathclyde, Glasgow.He was involved with Business Information Systems in UCC from its inception andis the current academic director of the MSc (Innovation, Commercialisation and Entrepreneurship), an Innovationpractise programme. He is an active academic entrepreneur, with a spinout inGreen IT and recently licensed a predictive analytics platform to a company. He is co-founder of the Alta Centre forEntrepreneurial Research and Learning in UCC and his areas of interest includeInformation Infrastructures, Service Innovation and Design Science, andUniversity wide Entrepreneurship Education.
Since January 2015, he is coordinating the EU-XCeL (Accelerating Entrepreneurial Learning Across EuropeanRegions) Project, an EU funded Horizon 2020 project, which will establish ICT entrepreneurship education initiatives and spaces across Europe. It sets out to train ICT entrepreneurs to be ‘incubator ready’ and this is informed by research into current practice in incubators across Europe. EU-XCEL will develop a network of ICT entrepreneurship creative physical and virtual spaces and coordinate European-wide intensive entrepreneurial action training events called ‘Start-up Scrums’ between consortia members with international teams.
Grants and Honours
- 26/01/2017 - DNP
- 01/01/2015 - Accelerating Entrepreneurial Learning across European Regions.
- 30/01/2014 - Proposal Preparation.
- 30/01/2014 - Travel Support
- 20/01/2014 - Proposal Preparation.
- 10/01/2012 - Predict X - A Cloud based predictive Analytics Service Platform for Customer Retention in Publishing.
- 10/01/2012 - Predict X - A Cloud Based Predictive Analytics Service Platform for Customer Retention in Publishing.
- 06/01/2012 - UCC Research Commercialisation Award, University College Cork
- 05/01/2012 - To create a prototype that would allow a person to interact with a service delivery expert.
- 06/01/2011 - An exploration of Predictive Analytic Services.
- 06/01/2010 - National Award for Entrepreneurship Education, Enterprise Ireland
- 10/01/2009 - COPIT CO2 Reduction for Profit in IT
- 10/01/2009 - COPIT CO2 Reduction for Profit in IT
- Innovative Software
- Information Infrastructure
- New Product Development
- Predictive analytics
- IS Entrepreneurship Education
- Innovation and the entrepreneurial process
- 9999 - Doctoral Degree (Structured), University College Cork (Thesis Primary Supervisor)
- 9999 - Doctoral Degree, University College Cork (Thesis Co-Supervisor)
- 2016 - DNP, University College Cork (Thesis Primary Supervisor)
- 2006 - E-government information infrastructures: an empirical investigation, University College Cork (Thesis Co-Supervisor)
|2012||HAWKES, C. P., HANOTIN, S., O'FLAHERTY, B., WOODWORTH, S., RYAN, C., DEMPSEY, E. (2012). Using smart phone technology to teach neonatal endotracheal intubation (NeoTube): application development and uptake. NeoTube: App for Neonatal Intubation. Acta Paediatrica. Details|
|2013||O'FLAHERTY, B., O'DONOGHUE, J., BOGUE, J. (2013). Innovation Intermediation and Emerging Medical Devices-The Lead-User Method in Practice. Journal of Cases On Information Technology.|
|2015||GLEASURE, R., FELLER, J., O'FLAHERTY, B. (2015). SCOPED: a set of design hypotheses targeting the visual perceptibility of interface items. International Journal of Human Factors and Ergonomics. Details|
|2010||BOYLAN, G., BURGOYNE, L., MOORE, C., O'FLAHERTY, B., RENNIE, J. (2010). An international survey of EEG use in the neonatal intensive care unit. Acta Paediatrica, International Journal of Paediatrics. Details|
|2014||O'FLAHERTY, B., HEAVIN, C. (2014). Positioning predictive analytics-A design evaluation. Frontiers in Artificial Intelligence and Applications. Details|
|2010||O'FLAHERTY, B., O'DONOGHUE, J. (2010). The development of emerging medical devices: The lead-user method in practice. IGI Global.|
|2006||PLISKIN, N., LEVY, M., HEART, T., O'FLAHERTY, B., O'DEA, P. (2006). The corporate digital divide between smaller and larger firms. IFIP International Federation for Information Processing. Details|
|2013||O'FLAHERTY, B., POPE, A., THORNTON, C., WOODWORTH, S. (2013). Capturing multi-stakeholder needs in customer-centric cloud service design.|
|2014||O'FLAHERTY, B., PRAMATARI, K., KATZENSTEIN, L., FITZGERALD, C. (2014). Entrepreneurial teaching and research in is.|
|2012||O'FLAHERTY, B., BOGUE, J. (2012). An exploratory study of innovation intermediation in IS education.|
|2012||GLEASURE, R., FELLER, J., O'FLAHERTY, B. (2012). Human-Centred Design: Existing approaches and a future research agenda.|
|2012||GLEASURE, R., FELLER, J., O'FLAHERTY, B. (2012). Procedurally transparent Design Science Research: A design process model.|
|2013||O'FLAHERTY, B., WOODWORTH, S., THORNTON, C., O'CONNOR, Y. (2013). An Exploration of Customer-Centric Cloud Service Design. Details|
|2017||TREACY, S., FELLER, J., O'FLAHERTY, B., NAGLE, T. (2017). COMPETITIVE MARKET INNOVATION CONTESTS AND SOCIAL CAPITAL: DIAMETRICALLY OPPOSED, OR INHERENTLY LINKED?. Association of Information Systems, Portugal.|
|2006||O'FLAHERTY, B., HAYES, E., KIELY, G., BARTLETT, D. (2006). The dynamics of a spatial data infrastructure - A national case study.|
|2004||O'FLAHERTY, B., HAYES, E., KIELY, G., BARTLETT, D. (2004). The Dynamics of an NSDI – Towards an Analytical and Comparative Framework.|
|2005||O'FLAHERTY, B., BARTLETT, D., LYONS, G., KEANKEO, W., ENDIG, M., SCHULZ, J. (2005). Towards a Stage Model for GIS and SDI deployment in local government.|
|2008||O'FLAHERTY, B., WHALLEY, J. (2008). Inscriptions on intranets as information infrastructures - Exposing the cultivation chasm.|