Prof Eleanor DoyleBack
Eleanor Doyle is Professor of Economics and Vice-Dean for Internationalisation and External Engagement at Cork University Business School (CUBS). She is an invited member of the international Microeconomics of Competitiveness (MoC) network of the Institute for Strategy and Competitiveness, Harvard Business School, led by Prof. Michael Porter (www.isc.hbs.edu/). She co-chairs the Knowledge Generation Council of the network and organises its annual presentation of research at HBS.
She is academic director of CUBS’ practitioner-oriented doctoral research programme (DBA) and has supervised19 doctoral theses to completion.
She lead Irish input to the Executive Opinion Survey for the annual Global Competitiveness Report published by the World Economic Forum for over a decade: (https://www.weforum.org/reports/the-global-competitiveness-report-2017-2018). Her recent research project, funded through an Environmental Protection Agency Grant, considers links between sustainability and competitiveness, leveraging international data from the World Economic Forum. (http://www.epa.ie/pubs/reports/research/econ/Research_Report_237.pdf).
Eleanor is active in regional fora including Cork’s Chamber of Commerce (through its Public Affairs Council) and the Economic Development sub-committee of CASP (Cork Areas Strategic Plan).
Grants and Honours
- 14/03/2016 - AEPESS Intergrated Indicators for Ireland Adjusting Economic Progress for Enviromental and Social Sustainability.
- 25/05/2011 - Business Reports. Business Ca\se for service/product development. Analysis on National Innovation Policy. Economics impact analysis.
- 01/01/2011 - Institute for Strategy and Competitiveness, Harvard Business School. Hall of Fame Award, Institute for Strategy and Competitiveness, Harvard Business School
- 07/01/2009 - Productivity, Innovation and Competitiveness in Small Open Economies
- 27/10/2022 - International Competitiveness, Sustainability and Resilience: Keynote Conference Presentation
- 15/09/2022 - Training : Cluster Managers & Policy Makers, Northern Ireland and Ireland
- 15/06/2022 - European Academy of Management
- 13/06/2022 - Irish Environmentalist Researchers Colloquium
- 05/05/2022 - Irish Economic Association Annual Conference
- 16/06/2021 - Annual conference of European Academy of Management
- 13/06/2021 - Irish Economic Association
- 04/12/2020 - European Academy of Management
- 26/06/2019 - European Academy of Management
- 24/06/2019 - European Academy of Management
- 03/09/2018 - Irish Academy of Management
- 28/08/2018 - European Regional Science Association
- 25/06/2018 - European Academy of Management
- 19/06/2018 - European Academy of Management
- 01/02/2018 - Ulster University Programme External Examiner: MSc Business Development and Innovation
- 01/12/2017 - Microeconomics of Competitiveness Network, Institute for Strategy and Competiteveness, Institute for Strategy and Competitiveness, Harvard Business School
- 29/08/2017 - European Regional Science Association
- 26/06/2017 - European Academy of Management
- 25/06/2017 - European Academy of Management
- 24/06/2016 - European Academy of Management
- 03/06/2016 - European Academy of Management Conference
- 2022 - Microeconomics of Competitiveness Case-based Workshop, Faculty of Economics and Globalization
- 2021 - Microeconomics of Competitiveness Case based Workshop, Ruhr University Bochum
- DBA (Business Economics)
- Microeconomics of Business Strategy
- Principles of Economics
- International Trade and Competitiveness
- Economic Development: competitiveness, clusters.
- Competitiveness Survey Project
- Efficiency of Irish Industry/Role of FDI in Irish Industry.
- Sources of Irish Growth.
- Linkages between firm, industry, sectoral and national competitiveness.
- Organisational architecture and governance.
- 2018 - The development of a conceptual framework for equality-based practice in organizations (Thesis Primary Supervisor)
- 2019 - Developing a Learner Centred Pedagogy: Applications to Accounting (Thesis Primary Supervisor)
- 2019 - Effectuation in Practice: Developmental Perspectives (Thesis Primary Supervisor)
- 2022 - Essays on Economic Growth: Sources of Growth for Saudi Arabia (Thesis Co-Supervisor)
- 2019 - Population Impacts on Economic Growth: National, Provincial and City Analyses (Thesis Co-Supervisor)
- 2015 - Developing executive capability: banking and beyond (Thesis Primary Supervisor)
- 2015 - The Role of Transformative Thinking and Practice in a Property Entrepreneur's Response to the Funding Crisis since 2008, University College Cork (Thesis Primary Supervisor)
- 2015 - Evolving Perspectives on Business and Books: Practitioner Implications, University College Cork (Thesis Primary Supervisor)
- 2021 - Competition and Scale Effects, Kemmy Business School, University of Limerick (Thesis Co-Supervisor)
- 2017 - Addressing Strategy and Innovation in Family Business Practice; a Process of Adaptive Change (Thesis Primary Supervisor)
- 2018 - Practising critical pedagogy through the lens of constructive-developmental theory, Department of Economics,University College Cork (Thesis Primary Supervisor)
- Bridge Building and Foundations in Clusters: An Exploratory Case Study, International University of Monaco (Thesis Co-Supervisor)
|2008||ADAM, F., DOYLE, E., SAMMON, D. (2008). The sercom and topps case studies. Journal of Decision Systems. doi:10.3166/jds.17.153-167. Details|
|2018||VAN EGERAAT, C., DOYLE, E. (2018). Rethinking Irish cluster policy. Administration. doi:10.2478/admin-2018-0011. Details|
|2017||O’CONNOR, S., DOYLE, E., BROSNAN, S. (2017). Clustering in Ireland: development cycle considerations. Regional Studies, Regional Science, 4 (1). doi:10.1080/21681376.2017.1402361. Details|
|2017||DOYLE, E., PEREZ-ALANIZ, M. (2017). From the concept to the measurement of sustainable competitiveness: Social and environmental aspects. Entrepreneurial Business and Economics Review. doi:10.15678/EBER.2017.050402. Details|
|2016||BROSNAN, S., DOYLE, E., O’CONNOR, S. (2016). From Marshall’s Triad to Porter’s Diamond: added value? Competitiveness Review: an international business journal, 26 (15), 500-516. doi:10.1108/CR-05-2015-0037. Details|
|2014||DOYLE, E., MCGOVERN, D., MCCARTHY, S. (2014). Compliance–innovation: Integrating quality and compliance knowledge and practice. Total Quality Management & Business Excellence. doi:10.1080/14783363.2014.914641. Details|
|2013||BRADY, G., DOYLE, E., NOONAN, L. (2013). Trade Sophistication Indicators: Balancing Diversity and Specialization. International Advances in Economic Research. doi:10.1007/s11294-013-9424-1. Details|
|2013||DOYLE, E., O'CONNOR, F. (2013). Innovation capacities in advanced economies: Relative performance of small open economies. Research in International Business and Finance. doi:10.1016/j.ribaf.2012.08.005. Details|
|2012||CHEN, Z., DOYLE, E., FANNING, C. (2012). Penrose's “unused services”: a cross?cultural perspective on growth of firms. Journal of Knowledge-based Innovation in China. doi:10.1108/17561411211208776. Details|
|2011||DOYLE, E., MARTINEZ-ZARZOSO, I. (2011). Productivity, Trade, and Institutional Quality: A Panel Analysis. Southern Economic Journal. doi:10.4284/sej.2011.77.3.726. Details|
|2007||DOYLE, E. (2007). Compliance obstacles to competitiveness. Corporate Governance. Details|
|2004||DOYLE, E. (2004). Exchange rate pass-through in a small open economy: the Anglo-Irish case. Applied Economics. doi:10.1080/00036840410001682142. Details|
|2001||ELEANOR, D. (2001). Export-Output Causality and the Role of Exports in Irish Growth: 1950–1997. International Economic Journal. doi:10.1080/10168730100000042. Details|
|2001||DOYLE, E. (2001). Exchange rate volatility and Irish-UK trade, 1979-1992. Applied Economics. doi:10.1080/00036840122999. Details|
|1999||DOYLE, E., O’LEARY, E. (1999). The role of structural change in labour productivity convergence among European Union countries: 1970?1990. Journal of Economic Studies. doi:10.1108/01443589910258452. Details|
|1998||DOYLE, E. (1998). Export-output causality: The Irish case 1953–93. Atlantic Economic Journal. doi:10.1007/BF02299357. Details|
|1997||DOYLE, E. (1997). Structural change in Ireland: the contribution of sectoral employment distribution to labour productvity convergence between Ireland and the EU: 1970-1990. Journal of Economic Studies.|
|2019||DOYLE, E., MCGOVERN, D., MCCARTHY, S., PEREZ-ALANIZ, M. (2019). Compliance-innovation: A quality-based route to sustainability. Journal of Cleaner Production. doi:https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2018.10.307. Details|
|2018||O'CONNOR, S., DOYLE, E., DORAN, J. (2018). Diversity, employment growth and spatial spillovers amongst Irish regions. Regional Science and Urban Economics. doi:10.1016/j.regsciurbeco.2017.11.002. Details|
|2021||BYRNE, E., DOYLE, E., HOBBS, J. (2021). Network diversity, distance and economic impact in a cluster: visualising linkages and assessing network capital. Competitiveness Review: an international business journal, 31 (5). doi:10.1108/cr-10-2020-0135. Details|
|2020||PEREZ-ALANIZ, M., DOYLE, E. (2020). Dichotomous impacts on social and environmental sustainability: competitiveness and development levels matter. Competitiveness Review: an international business journal, 31 (4), 771-791. doi:10.1108/cr-05-2019-0055. Details|
|2019||KUBERSKA, D., DOYLE, E. (2019). SPATIAL CONCENTRATION AS A PREMISE FOR BUILDING RELATIONS: AN APPLICATION IN POLISH ORGANIC FOOD CLUSTERS. Journal of Agribusiness and Rural Development, 53 (3). Details|
|2023||ALDHMOUR, F. M., DOYLE, E. (2023). Knowledge Sharing of Postgraduates Online: The Intention-Behavior Gap. Information Sciences Letters, 12 (2). doi:10.18576/isl/120215. Details|
|2016||DOYLE, E. (2016). Pedagogical Strategy, Design Strategy, and Positioning of Practitioner Doctorate: Grounding Business Practice in Subjectivism and First-Person Research in an Irish Institution. International Perspectives on Designing Professional Practice Doctorates. Palgrave Macmillan. Details|
|2004||DOYLE, E., ADAM, F. (2004). Investigating the Rationale of ERP. A Case Study. The Enterprise Resource Planning Decade. Details|
|2017||DOYLE, E. (2017). Eyes on the Street: The Life of Jane Jacobs. Competitiveness Review: an international business journal. Details|
|2015||DOYLE, E. (2015). Cluster-Based Industrial Development: KAIZEN Management for MSE Growth in Developing Countries. Competitiveness Review: an international business journal. Details|
|2021||MCMAHON, M., CALLIGARIS, S., DOYLE, E., KINSELLA, A. (2021). Scale, market power and competition in a digital world. Is bigger better?. Paris: OECD. Details|
|2014||DOYLE, E., MCGOVERN, D. (2014). Mind-of-the-Product - At the Heart of GRC Knowledge Integration. Details|
|2001||ADAM, F., DOYLE, E. (2001). Enterprise Resource Planning at Topps Ireland Ltd. Johnson and Scholes (Eds.) Exploring Corporate Strategy, Prentice Hall,.|
|1998||DOYLE, E., ADAM, F. (1998). Board Gais Eireann: Exciting and Dynamic Times for the Natural Gas Industry.|